Dog

Dog

Friday 4 December 2015

Magazine Review: Cloth Paper Scissors

For more information on the magazine please go to www.clothpaperscissors.com

 Blog 48

The last couple of weeks were so busy, I did not have time to work on any holiday projects but will have some ideas for you next week. They will be easy and quick projects you can still finish in the two weeks before Christmas.

As magazines can also be a great gift for both beginning as well as advanced artists alike, I will give you a review of one magazine for which I have had a subscription for the past two years: Cloth Paper Scissors.

Cloth Paper Scissors has been published in the US since October 2004. I noticed it for the first time in 2011 when I was browsing the craft and art section of the magazine stand in a local big box store. I was attracted to the different mixed media projects that were described in detailed steps.

As a professional artist, you get into a certain routine when you work. Do not get me wrong, I enjoy my time in my studio and outdoors when I capture an image of nature on my canvas but it is still my work. From time to time, I like to mix it up by taking a course from another artist or taking some time to play and experiment with new techniques and materials. I want to keep growing, and integrating new techniques and materials into my art keep the process of creation fresh.

As I found it a hit and miss to find the next issue at the stores, I finally decided to subscribe to the magazine. I have to say that I found something in every issue that inspired me to try something new.

The magazine is published every second month. Both beginning artists as well as experienced artists will get lots of inspirations for many mixed media projects, creating fiber art works, collages, art journals, whimsical figurines, jewelry and much more. It gets your creativity into high gear because you get so many ideas for new materials and techniques you can incorporate into your art - even if you do not follow any of the featured projects.

The magazine and my teaching experience also inspired me to offer my “Creativity and Me” workshops. It always makes me sad when someone tells me how much they are touched by art, but that they would never be able to create something. I am a firm believer that everyone can express themselves through art, however not necessarily the way they imagine. In my “Creativity and Me” workshops, I encourage participants to try different mediums and art projects to break out of the self-determined boundaries. I see art as a means to relax, have fun, grow, and connect with others through the process of creating.

If you are thinking of subscribing to Cloth Paper Scissors, I would encourage you to visit their website http://www.clothpaperscissors.com. There is lots of information, free resources, a blog, project suggestions and videos, as well as forums.

If you do not feel like subscribing to a new magazine and do not care when you receive the issues in order, you can often find some great offers for previous issues on the Cloth Paper Scissors website. The magazine is also available in a digital edition.

I hope you are getting excited for next week's blog when I will present you with some projects I have tried out for you – not necessarily all from the Cloth Paper Scissors magazine.

If you would like some more information about my “Creativity and Me” workshops which are held at my house once a month, Friday evenings from 6:30pm to 9pm, please do not hesitate to contact me at kpeters@domingoinformatics.ca.

Here are the dates for the first half year of 2016:
January 22, 2016: Winter doodles
February 19, 2016: Felting animals
April 15, 2016: Collage on a canvas tote bag
May 13, 2016 Painting flowers in acrylic




No comments:

Post a Comment