Dog

Dog

Friday 17 March 2023

The Stages of my Felting Process


Three Poppies, wool, 8.75" x 12", custom-matted to 12” x 16”, CAN $450

Blog 12


Since the beginning of the year, I have posted my daily art to inspire you to increase creativity in your life. I wanted to show that it doesn’t have to take hours to create art. Some of my sketches were more detailed because I often forget everything around me and keep drawing or painting.


I have also continued to work on my needle-felted paintings. I usually work on several at the same time, each of them at a different stage of completion.


I cannot sit still and usually work on a piece while watching television or chatting with friends.


 

I start the blocking-in phase of the painting while watching TV because I don’t have to worry about details and fill the background with colours that match the basic shapes of my composition.


Once I get to the second step and start working on blending colours, I continue when I chat with friends because I need better lighting and have to pay more attention to the transitions of colours.


Most of the work on my needle-felted paintings happens when I add more details. I need to concentrate on the artwork, keeping my eyes on the artwork. The participants of the virFriday Crafters Afternoons are all in the same boat. We chat, we laugh, but we also have times when we spend the time silently working. To find out how to join us, send me an email to info@KerstinPeters.ca.


The final stage of my process usually takes the longest. Sometimes, when I consider a painting almost finished, I realize something feels off. Outsiders might not even see something wrong with the artwork. I take a photo to view the artwork from a different angle. Sometimes, it is only a quick adjustment. Other times, I require additional hours until I am satisfied.


When I created my calendar of needle-felted paintings last November, I realized I had to change the following tulip painting. When you look at the second image, can you guess what caught my eye?


 

 

 

 

 

 

If you want to learn needle felting in a small group, I invite you to the Easter Egg workshop on Sunday, April 2, 2023, from 2:00 pm to 3:30 pm, Zoom. You will learn the basics of needle felting and might find a fun and relaxing hobby.


I will offer the next needle-felted painting workshop on June 4 and 11, 2023. What would you like to felt?

  • Landscape
  • Still life
  • Flowers
  • Birds
  • Butterflies
  • Other animals


Please send me an email with your suggestion to info@KerstinPeters.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment