Dog

Dog

Friday 10 November 2023

You're Not Lazy - Book Review



Photo provided by Lara Wellman



Blog 46


Recently, I read Lara Wellman’s new book, You’re Not Lazy. Lara is a certified business coach who shows small business owners that they can create businesses they love that make money and still allow them to enjoy life. I met Lara at a business networking event many years ago. Since then, we have kept in contact during business or art events. We both love ways of creative expression.

On many occasions, I benefited from her business advice. Therefore, I wanted to return the favour and help her promote her book. I was excited that she chose me as a book ambassador even though I was not sure the book was for me.

Motivation is no problem for me. I am persistent and instead do too much rather than too little. I also create art most days, exercise regularly, and make time for family and friends. So why would I need a book about laziness? Nevertheless, I was curious what she had to say.

I knew after the first paragraph that Lara’s writing would resonate with me. I love her wits. She is approachable because of her ability to make fun of herself and show strength and vulnerability at the same time.

“I feel like I never learned to “adult” the way I was led to believe I would. I thought by a certain age, I would be tidier, more responsible, not forget to pay bills, and not want to spend my days on leisure activities. Truly! I feel I was promised that by the time I reached adulthood, I wouldn’t want to sleep in and that keeping the house tidy would kind of be like my hobby. That definitely never happened.”

I will turn 60 next year, and I still feel far from becoming a respectable and reasonable adult, putting dreams and needs on the back burner. However, maybe we only saw our parents and grandparents in this light because that is what society expected from them, and we didn’t look behind the facade.

“This book is about shifting how we see ourselves, re-imagining what it means to be successful, finding the energy to put towards the things we truly want, and starting to enjoy life more.” While looking back on her journey, she admits that her views come from a place of privilege. She has a husband and a family to support her. “Not everyone can change their lives for the better with nothing more than a mindset shift.”

While Lara tells about her struggles, most of us will find ourselves reflected in any of her stories. Therefore, we benefit from the lessons she has learned. Instead of seeing the insurmountable obstacles, Lara challenges us to see the possibilities by questioning the rules of our society that “puts value on the number of hours we put into things and how hard we work, and not on the output.” She offers thoughtful questions to allow readers to reflect on their own lives.

I come from a family of workaholics and didn’t want work to be the focus of my life. However, breaking out of that life I knew was more difficult than I expected. I quickly fell into the same trap, supported by the expectations at the office. I felt guilty when I started prioritizing my hobbies and enjoying beautiful summer days with friends on a workday. It took a terrible accident a couple of years ago to change my view.

Success is often a synonym for making much money in our society, but is it what it is really about? Lara shows us that success can have different meanings for different people. “When you begin to let go of the societal expectations that surround you and make you feel bad about yourself, you can start thriving.”

Instead of striving for the perfect outcome, she challenges us to enjoy the journey and to stretch ourselves out of our comfort zones to grow. “Stop waiting to arrive and ask yourself what the right next step is for you.”


 

I am sure everyone has struggled with not being enough. For example, consider an artist who works on a painting and gets frustrated with the progress. Art is a lifelong journey – like everything you learn. If you practice consistently, you will see progress.

A look at earlier pieces will show you the progress you have made. Acknowledge and celebrate the achievements along the way. Ask a peer for advice, or consider enrolling in additional workshops or classes to expand your skills and knowledge.

Remember that we always give our best at any given moment. “Just because things might be different (and maybe even better) later, doesn’t mean that what is true and real now isn’t of value. They both are amazing, and the world deserves to have them.”

​”There are people out there who are looking for someone just like you at exactly the stage you are at now to talk to them.”

If you want to shift your perspective and transform your life, you can find Lara Wellman’s book on Amazon in both e-book and print format.


No comments:

Post a Comment