Dog

Dog

Friday, 28 August 2026

Finding Joy in the Little Things

 


Blog 8

 

  
This month, I joined Shannon Hernandez’s Practical Joy Book Club. Shannon brought together an inspirational group, and her guided exercises helped us focus on making time for joy and allowing space for it, even when grief and frustration seem to overwhelm us.

Since my accident in 2021, I have made more space for joy. It was a wake-up call that made me realize how fragile our lives are. We all know this, but in the hustle of daily life, we often postpone what truly matters.

Being part of the book club reinforced my desire for joy in my life. This month, I drew things that nurture my joy. They make me grateful for the life I have and give my actions a purpose.

 

All images: Prismacolor coloured pencils, Bean: HB and 2B pencils


I spent the August long weekend with my daughter and her cat, Bean, at her new apartment. I cherish our relationship and the deep bond we have. By spending time together, we are creating memories that will stay with us. The images of the Kaiserschmarrn and Bean playing with his new toy remind me of these happy moments together, enjoying simple pleasures.

Nature is another important source of joy for me. Our garden grounds me and offers endless inspiration to capture its fleeting beauty in my art.


For example, it is a delight to see the dahlia my daughter gave me three years ago blooming again. I love watching the foxes and bunnies, the visits of wild turkeys, and the birds. I also enjoy the rich harvest my husband’s vegetable garden offers. Our property was an apple orchard in the past, but we only have a single apple tree and one crabapple tree left, which I use to cook delicious apple sauce.


All images: Prismacolor coloured pencils


On the evening of August 5, I couldn’t believe my eyes when a large deer walked through our garden. Something we have never seen in the over 20 years we have lived here. The deer and I stared at each other in astonishment. I didn’t move, not to frighten the beautiful deer, and it was clearly afraid of my reaction. It was such a touching moment.

With High Tea, we celebrated the friendship that has evolved in our Book Club. Discussing the books and sharing our personal histories and opinions has created a bond of friendship which I cherish because community and connections are two of my core values. Each fun activity and every meeting has deepened the respect and our relationships.

All image, except the sumac: Prismacolor coloured pencils; Sumac: watercolours


Most of the flowers I drew bring colour to our garden and make my heart jump excitedly. I also get so much pleasure from seeing the colourful flower beds in our neighbourhood.


My geraniums and my Swamp Rose Mallow survive the winters in our winter garden, where they still bloom even in the middle of winter. I loved the dramatic mood of the white geranium highlighted by the porch lights at night.


The Himalayan Balsam, an invasive species, I received twenty years ago, doesn’t seem to like our soil. Therefore, I can enjoy the few delicate blooms without fear of the plants taking over our property.


I created the first sunflower after a wonderful painting day with my Painting Buddies Janis and Bob. I like to remember all the sights, sounds and smells of nature to bridge the winter months when thick snow covers the landscape with a white blanket.

We have a small pond on the property, and I sometimes hear the bullfrog croaking. However, Shadow and I found this frog on the side of the street during one of our walks.


All images, except Sumac: Prismacolor coloured pencils; Sunset: watercolours, white Prismacolor pencil


I also spotted a Monarch Butterfly that seems to like the many goldenrod plants on our property.


Summer also brings traditions I cherish, especially picnics by the Ottawa River while watching the sunset, an experience I have shared with family and friends, creating memories I treasure. A sunset was also one of the drawing suggestions from my Facebook community, a request I fulfilled gladly.


While I was fascinated by the intricate design of the grasshopper’s body, it reminded me of my recent bike tour with my husband and daughter along the Ottawa River, exploring downtown Ottawa from the riverside.

 

Upper images: Prismacolor coloured pencils; the bottom two: watercolour pencils and watercolours

The last image of this blog already announces the change of season, although the official start of autumn is still three weeks away. I love the colourful fall foliage, but I hope summer still stays with us as long as possible. I dread the long, cold months here in Ottawa.

 

First image: watercolour pencils; the other two: Prismacolor coloured pencils



Are you looking forward to the cooler season, or do you want summer to extend until the Canadian Thanksgiving?

No comments:

Post a Comment