Dog

Dog

Friday 28 October 2022

Preparing for a Painting Trip

Nature's Mirror, acrylic, 12" x 16" CAN $400

 

Blog 17



When this blog is published, I will already be on the way to the cottage, where I will spend some days with my painting buddy Bob and friends from Eganville. It is the first painting trip since October 2019, when I went to Lake Clear in Eganville with the Plein Air Ensemble.

Hopefully, the weather will be in our favour. Rain, snow and high winds would stand in our way of painting en plein air, but we will be ready for bad weather by bringing some reference materials to paint indoors. While this is not the best time for painting outdoors, as many of the trees have already lost their leaves, there is still plenty to paint.

While I get organized for my trip, I realize how much less I pack now than when I started painting en plein air.

In the beginning, I had a list that was one-page long. These days, I pack much lighter. When I probably won’t have much time to paint during an outing in the neighbourhood, on travel abroad or with family, I usually only pack watercolour pencils and a travel watercolour set, a 9” x 12” and a 5” x 7” watercolour pad, brushes, a water container, a small water bottle and paper towels. All these materials fit easily in my backpack. As I like to sit when I am painting, I also take a foldable chair with a side table when painting with my friends. If I am not sure whether I have an opportunity to paint or not, I will pick anything that can serve as a seat for a quick sketch.

For this trip, I will also pack a small painting box of Golden Open Acrylic paints because I enjoyed my time painting in our yard so much. I usually limit my palette to Titanium White, Hansa and Cadmium Yellow, Cadmium Red and Quinacridone Magenta, Cobalt and Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Umber and Sap Green Hue, a small bottle of gel medium and brushes. The box also serves as my easel. I use a travel watercolour palette that I use as my palette, a water container, paper towels and 11” x 14” boards. I carry everything in a backpack. Open Acrylic paints have a longer drying time, so I also bring a carrier for my paintings.

Aside from the painting equipment, I need warm socks and hiking boots. Even when the temperatures are still above zero degrees Celsius, your feet get cold fast when you don't move for some time. I will take my winter painting coat, light gloves, hat, scarf and rain pants because it is easier to take things off than to be outside freezing.

I will share our painting adventures with you in the upcoming blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment