Dog

Dog

Friday 18 August 2023

Under Pressure

 



Blog 34



This summer, I spent a lot of time drawing different subjects that were different from my landscape and animal art. I often pressure myself into creating the best possible artwork. What will everyone think if it does not look good? I am an artist. I should be able to do this.


Do you have a similar feeling? Do you get frustrated with your efforts if you meet obstacles?


However, just because someone is a great soccer player, they are not necessarily a fantastic athlete in another discipline. An accomplished reporter is usually not a capable writer of novels.


We often put so much pressure on ourselves because we assume everyone expects us to perform at the highest level. Usually, we are the only ones looking for every fault. Perfection is boring! Less symmetry is more exciting!


Playing and exploring is essential to improve your skills and keep your curiosity and energy flowing, attracting others.


While teaching a painting course, a participant once approached me, saying that it must be wonderful to create art so effortlessly.


I feel humbled if someone sees my art this way. They often only see the finished product. While the process is sometimes very smooth, there are also times when I hit roadblocks. Practicing a lot also helps.


This week, I spent time with my painting friends at the National Gallery, visiting the special exhibition, Uninvited: Canadian Women Artists in the Modern Moment. While we had lunch, I quickly sketched a scene outside the building. It is my way of shorthand to remember events and happy moments. It is much more pleasing than the regular shorthand I had to learn at the language school, which I hated. I always feel the urge to create.



Even if I wanted to stop, I would struggle to keep my hand still. I have enjoyed my Summer of Creativity Project, creating topics from the 642 Things To Draw book (see collage above). I will continue for two more weeks even though the official summer lasts until September 22. The early fall is a great time to paint and sketch on location, and I look forward to outings with my Painting Buddies. There are still many new challenges to conquer!


If you are interested in needle felting, I invite you to my fall workshop, Ready for Pumpkins. I divided the four-hour workshop for the first time into four parts as a lunchtime activity. You can find more information and register here. To take advantage of the early bird price, register before August 21, 2023.



No comments:

Post a Comment