Dog

Dog

Friday 27 October 2023

Painting in the Halifax Region


Salt Marsh, watercolour and watercolour pencil, 8.3" x 11.7"

 

 Blog 44

 

I can hardly believe a month has already passed since my stay with my friend Hélène in Dartmouth. However, we had such a great time that I want to share my experience.


 
 
Journal Sketch, watercolour pencil and white ink
The day following post-tropical storm Lee, we went to Rainbow Haven Beach Provincial Park. It was a windy day, and the waves were high. Otherwise, nothing suggested that a big storm had just passed. Suddenly, the sun broke through the clouds, illuminating the water and causing it to sparkle magnificently. It would have been amazing to capture the scene, but the beach was busy with families who took advantage of a day outside without rain, a rarity during the past summer.
 
 


Journal Sketch, watercolour pencils
Monday was sunny but windy. Hélène and I went to the Salt Marsh, breathtakingly beautiful. It was pleasant in the sun but cooled down rapidly once the clouds moved in. While we were painting, a woman with two dogs approached us. We learned that she had recently moved to Dartmouth but had lived in Orleans before, less than 10 minutes from my home. When she left, I told Hélène that she looked like the friend of a friend. Shortly after, she returned and addressed me by my name. I had been right. We had been together in a playgroup about twenty-five years ago. What are the chances of crossing paths in Dartmouth on a three-day stay?

 


The next day, Hélène and I went to the Art 1274 Hollis Gallery, where she shows her beautiful watercolour paintings. It is a welcoming gallery with very talented artists. Again, I was glad that I only travelled with a carry-on suitcase and already have a house full of art.


The next stop was the Pleasant Street Diner, the fish restaurant Hélène had raved about. We arrived past lunchtime, and there was still a line-up. We had to wait almost twenty minutes for a table. The interior was nothing special, but my shrimp and chips were definitely worth the wait.


Journal Sketch, pencil
Sun was in the forecast for the afternoon, but at the Alderney Landing in Dartmouth, it was mostly cloudy and very windy. The view of Halifax was hazy, but we saw a seal, an unusual sight in the area. We picked a spot at a picnic table and painted the view of the Angus L. Macdonald Bridge - a challenging composition. When we had to return to our parking spot, the sun finally came out, and we had a clear view of Halifax and passing ships. We were disappointed, but I took at least some great photos.

 

photo of Kerstin painting by Hélène Martin


Journal Sketch, watercolour pencils
The last day we spent together was cloudy and grey. We drove to Lower Sackville, where we painted flowers in the Acadia Park. It is a blooming oasis! We would have loved to stay longer, but my flight left early that evening.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Here is a collage of my plein air paintings:

 

The Salt Marsh, watercolour and watercolour pencils, 8.3" x 11.7", see above
Halifax, watercolour and watercolour pencils, 8.3" x 11.7", unfinished
Fall Flowers, watercolour and watercolour pencils, 8.3" x 11.7", unfinished


I fell in love with the Maritimes. Prince Edward Island reminded me of Sylt, the German island in the North Sea known for its long beaches. Even though I would not like to live in the Maritimes permanently, I love the landscape and the friendliness of most people. I am sure I will return, hopefully with more time to paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment