Dog

Dog

Friday 12 May 2023

Surround Yourself with Inspiration

 

150th Tulip, left: acrylic, right: markers and coloured pencils

Blog 20

During my vacation, I am replacing the weekly blogs with creativity tips. I am sure I have lots to tell you after my return that will inspire you.

Surround yourself with things that inspire you, whether artwork, books, photos, music, events or nature. Exposure to different experiences can ignite your creative spark and help you generate new ideas.
Plus, ensure you always have art materials easily accessible to express your creativity when it hits you. Keep a basket with paper, pencils, markers, scissors and other items available. If you have to go on a hunt for equipment, you might lose your creative spark and get frustrated with yourself instead.

Many artists have more materials than they can ever use. However, not having the ideal materials for your project should not prevent you from creating. I always tell my students it is better to work with a substitute than to keep watching without starting. For example, if you see a painting that you enjoy, you can also recreate it with pencils or markers. Often you can use different materials in one artwork. Have fun with it, and find creative substitutes. I would love to see your creations. You can send them to info@KerstinPeters.ca. After my vacation, I will pick one lucky winner from all the replies for a one-hour private painting or felting lesson with me.

A couple of years ago, I had planned an acrylic painting of the Canada 150th Tulip for clients of several group homes, but most participants had no painting supplies. Therefore, I created the image with markers and coloured pencils.


No comments:

Post a Comment