Dog

Dog

Friday 1 September 2023

Keeping The Memory Alive - Commission Painting of a Beloved Pet

 

 

Blog 36



I just received a new commission for a painting of a cherished dog who recently died. I feel honoured to help the family keep his memory alive with a unique artwork. Based on my experience, I know how a piece of artwork can help keep the memory of a beloved companion alive.

 

Jessie - Forever in My Heart, acrylic, 11" x 14"




When our first dog died, our deeply loved Jessie, painting her portrait helped me to deal with my pain. It was challenging, and I had to stop several times until I was strong enough to cope with the loss. Today, I still feel comforted when I look at her painting and remember the many happy moments we shared.


I painted our second and third dogs already while they were still alive. I also created needle-felted paintings of them because I liked the idea of their portraits in wool to imitate their soft fur. I look at them every day and feel happy in their continued company, even though both crossed the rainbow bridge.


Before I create an acrylic or a needle-felted commission painting of a family pet, I usually prefer to meet the dog or cat, observe the pet and take lots of photos. For a deceased pet, I rely on family photos. Looking for photos also helps the owners to relive the precious moments with their pet. They realize which pose is the one that reminds them the most of their beloved family member. I help my clients decide on the pose and a background for their much-loved family member, using several photos to create the composition of the painting.


My new clients decided they want their cute dog sitting in their garden. When they told me that a white butterfly had appeared several times since the death of their beloved dog, we agreed to add a white butterfly to the painting.


The first step of my painting process is to put the pieces of their garden, the favourite photo of their sweet dog and the butterfly together. I used pastels to draw the composition. When my client is happy with the drawing, I will add a layer of clear gesso to attach the pigments to the canvas. This step serves as my block-in.


At this point, I can still change every aspect of my painting because acrylic paints are very versatile. I can paint dark over light and the other way around.


Once I have heard back from my clients, I can make the adjustments and start painting. I am excited and will share updates with you.


To inquire about a custom painting of your beloved pet, please send me an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment