Dog

Dog

Friday 3 November 2017

Fall into Landscape Painting

Slide Rapids Marsh, oil, 10" x 8"

Blog 45

November is here and with the wonderful fall weather we had, it seems that it arrived out of nowhere. For the last couple of weeks, I wrote about my painting trip to Kamouraska. The time of our trip in early September is the beginning of the most beautiful season to paint outside.

The changing colours create a breathtaking landscape. However, many artists prefer to paint outside either before or after the peak of the fall colours. During the peak time, the intensity of the colours is overwhelming. The colours are so strong, that it is hard to concentrate on a focal point. Everywhere you look, the trees are competing with each other for the spot with the most amazing colour. It is like being in a candy store, where you cannot decide on what to choose, because there is just too much of everything.

Painting in the fall has some further advantages. The temperatures are usually quite pleasant and you have to endure less bugs. I am also very energetic and motivated in the fall, because I know that a long winter is before me and I want to make the most of the limited time available.

Ottawa River, Rockland, oil, 11" x 14"
While I have done most of my fall paintings in September and October, there is still some hope for nice sunny November days that feel like a special gift. I remember a mild November day a couple of years ago when my friends and I were just overjoyed with the extra painting opportunity.

While I know of a couple of painters who go outside in almost any kind of weather on a regular basis, I limit my plein air painting time these days to temperatures above -10 degrees Celsius. There was a time, when I felt I had to go outside during a painting trip no matter the weather, but these days I resort to working from reference photos, finishing paintings in progress, or setting up a still life. After all, there is still the next spring to go back outside. In the meantime, I find lots of art projects to work on inside during the cold winter days.

Winter Glow - Painting Party
Talking of spending time inside, painting parties are an exciting and different activity for get-togethers with family and friends. You will be creative, have fun, and create lasting memories. If you are interested in learning more about painting parties and how to host an event for your family and friends (both adults and children), please go to my website at www.KerstinPeters.ca or contact me directly by phone (613) 316-1543 or by email to kpeters@domingoinformatics.ca. My focus is small parties (up to 12 people). Due to my teaching schedule, I am available primarily from Friday to Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment