Dog

Dog

Friday 18 June 2021

25 Years in Canada - The Year 2017 Part I

Pink Tulips, 20" x 10", CAN $400

 

Blog 21


I started 2017 actively participating in many exhibitions. On January 4, I delivered my painting Winter in Quebec to the Shenkman Arts Centre as part of the Arteast Promenade exhibition called Winter Medley. On January 12, I was one of the four artists participating in the Arteast Winter Mix exhibition at the St. Laurent Complex. On February 1, our Navan Arts Group installed some of our artworks in the big glass showcase on the ground level of the Shenkman Arts Centre. I was excited when a new client bought Kamouraska Landscape and Green Waters from the St. Laurent Complex show. The last show of the first half of 2017 was the Navan Fine Arts Exhibition and Sale in April, where I sold my acrylic painting Powdery Sunset.


In 2016, I spent a lot of time creating new content for my classes and workshops. To devote more time to my art, I challenged myself to create art every day during January to get back into a routine after the holidays. However, this plan derailed quickly. In early January, I had written a post on Facebook to find other German learners for a German conversation. One of the responses came from an acquaintance from my early days in the Orleans Newcomers Club. She worked for a company that had signed a contract with the Canadian Government of Canada to teach their employees for posts abroad.


I applied shortly before midnight on a Tuesday. The next morning, I already received a phone call with an invitation for an interview the following day. A week later, I passed the teaching certification. After a day of introduction to the material and digital learning tools, I started to work three hours a day less than three weeks after my application. Even though I only worked from 9 am to 12 pm, I was away about double the time due to my commute. I had to leave the house by 7:15 am to make it to work on time. At least the way home was usually not a problem. I still taught two courses for children at François Dupuis Recreation Centre and my private student preparing for an art-focused high school. In early February, I also worked Sundays at Bob MacQuarrie Recreation Complex. Plus, in the spring, I also taught an acrylic landscape painting course for adults. 


Fall at Petrie Island, wool, 11" x 8 3/4", NFS


With even less time at my disposal for creative projects, I struggled to get into a new rhythm. At least, the creativity challenge encouraged me to pick up my felting needle or a pencil when I would have otherwise possibly worked in front of my computer. I was also excited to hear that I inspired others to start their own challenge. Nevertheless, as the weeks passed, I became very overwhelmed with all the work. I questioned whether I should give up my art business. The many tasks of marketing, bookkeeping, and teaching, prevented me from having time to paint.


I was also struggling to accept that the health of one of my friends was rapidly deteriorating. For months, it looked like her brain tumour was in remission. Then, it returned viciously in January. I kept visiting her at the hospital, but with every visit, she was less responsive. At the same time, our son had found our neighbour after a stroke. These two events made me realize how precious time is and how much I cherished my relationships with family and friends. As much as I missed painting, I made my relationships a priority. 


Fruit Bowl, pencil, 8.5" x 11", NFS

Even though I postponed many of my workshops, I still started my workshop Drawing with a Twist in mid-January to show participants the fun of drawing. We concentrated on the process of creating rather than on the finished project. I taught my students to pay attention to the world around them without blindly accepting what others have taught us.


Canada in Leaf, various Arteast artists


By mid-March, I developed laryngitis due to the many hours of teaching, which forced me to take some days off and slow down. It was good timing because I needed to work on my triangle for the Canada in Leaf artwork. In celebration of Canada’s 150th birthday, Arteast had invited some of the members to participate in the Canada 150th project. The participating artists had to create an aspect of Canada on the 30 wood triangles of the maple leaf mosaic. The sides of each triangle were a specific colour that needed the artists needed to include in the painting. My triangle had magenta sides. Therefore, I picked a Canadian winter sunset. In May, visitors could view the humongous artwork for the first time at the Promenade Gallery in the Shenkman Arts Centre. The maple leaf later found a permanent home at the entrance of the Nepean Public Library, 101 Centrepointe Drive, Ottawa. Next to the artwork is a plaque listing all the contributing artists.


At the Narrows Bridge, oil, 11" x 14", CAN $375

Once more, I was the trip organizer for the Plein Air Ensemble. At the end of March, we went to Orford, Quebec. I had a wonderful time with the group of painters at Orford Music, especially with my travel partner and friend Janis. I was sad to retire as coordinator of the group. Fortunately, the new team organized the bi-yearly trips until the pandemic. Hopefully, the trips will continue when it is safe to travel again. You can read my travelogue in my blogs of April 7, 14, 21, and 28, 2017.


At the beginning of May, I spent a week at the cottage with my son. My friend Janis came up for two days. Unfortunately, we could only paint under the covered porch due to the rain. I worked on the commission of the portrait of a beautiful ragdoll cat and a new piece for my painting parties while my son and one of his friends explored the area.


While we were at the cottage, my friend died peacefully, and only hours later, our neighbour, who had been an inspiring mentor to my son. It felt right that Dominic and I were alone that day. We took Alex for a walk and felt surrounded by the quietness of nature. While we enjoyed the tranquility of nature, the lives of many people in the Ottawa valley changed by the force of nature. The rising floodwaters damaged properties and endangered lives along the Ottawa River. 


Canada 150th Tulip Painting Party

 Back at home, I was delighted to offer a painting party as part of one of the Women's Business Connections Orleans special events and at the Resurrection Lutheran Church in Orleans. During both events, we painted the Canada 150th Tulip. Each of the artworks turned out differently due to our unique temperament and mood reflected in each painting.

 

Lots of beautiful tulips

 

As I kept struggling with my schedule, I missed the Canadian Tulip Festival for the first time in years. However, I still painted tulips outside. I set up my easel in our backyard to paint some pinkish-red tulips guarded by our faithful Australian Shepherd, Alex, at my side (see at top).
 

In June, things started to slow down. My morning classes continued during the summer. However, my student was away for part of June, which allowed me to paint more regularly. I finished the commission painting, and the joy in my client’s face was such a treat for me. 


Jessie Blue, acrylic, 16" x 20", SOLD


If you want to know how I managed to recreate more balance in my life in the second half of 2017, please join me again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment