Dog

Dog

Friday 30 July 2021

25 Years in Canada - the Year 2019 Part II


Heading Towards Mount Robson Park, acrylic, 18" x 24", CAN



Blog 26


The second half of 2019 started with a reminder from my body that I had to slow down. Due to the inflammation in both heels, I could not walk much. It made me sad that I could not walk Alex for a couple of weeks, but it also freed up some time. During our family vacation to the cottage, I managed to paint despite many visitors.

On July 24, I spent a wonderful evening with fellow artists and visitors at the vernissage of the Arteast Promenade exhibition Summer Inspiration - Inspiration d'été, my only exhibition participation for the rest of the year.


Beebalms and Globe Thistle, acrylic, 8" x 8", CAN $230

 

I took part in two plein air painting events organized by the art organization Arteast. First, we went to a beautiful garden of one of the members in Cumberland, where I created the 8” x 8” painting called Beebalms and Globe Thistle. Next, we met at Petrie Island. I had a hard time and was quite frustrated with my artwork. When I stepped back from the easel, I was surprised how it had turned out and loved my painting Pickerel Weed.

 

Pickerel Weed, acrylic, 8" x 10", CAN $250
 

I had a very productive August with two drawing events and a painting party at the Humanics Sanctuary and Sculpture Park. I also managed to either paint or felt at least an hour every day, which felt amazing. I also started teaching my private German student again, who had taken some time off to travel.


In the summer, I received the opportunity to teach German classes virtually for government employees two days a week in the fall. I was excited about the prospect that would save me so much commuting time. Unfortunately, when I received the schedule, the hours were not divided over two days but four. They were also in the middle of each day, blocking other activities. As a result, I had to change my private teaching schedule, which was quite frustrating. 


Grassland, acrylic, 11" x 14", CAN $375
 

September was a very productive month for me due to the fantastic painting trip to Kamouraska. It was our 10th trip to this beautiful region. For the first time, Hélène, Janis and I drove together in one car. The painting trips are not only about painting but also about spending time together and sharing food. Painting is often a very solitary activity. Therefore, it is great to spend the time painting outside together. You have immediate support when you feel frustrated. My blog posts from September 20 to October 4 contain the travelogue of the trip. 

I tried to pass on this support by facilitating meetings for creative minds in my studio. With the Art Circle, the Crafters Evening, the Art Cafe, painting parties, and felting workshops, I brought more creativity, connections and fun into the lives of my students.

I taught three Cartooning & Comics courses and one mixed media course at the François Dupuis Recreation Centre. I also instructed three private German students and offered twelve hours of German instruction online.
 

Manning Road Marsh, acrylic, 8" x 10", CAN $250

October started with a delightful trip to Lake Clear with the Plein Air Ensemble. It was a very productive long weekend for Hélène, Janis and me. Instead of driving around long distances to find interesting spots, we stayed close to the resort. We discovered many interesting sights and had more painting time. To read the travelogue, please go to my blog from October 11 and 25. 

I also spent more on my felted paintings and finished three in the second half of 2019.

 

Apple Blossoms, wool and mixed fibres, embroidery thread, 8.5” x 11”,  CAN $375


November was extremely busy because of my trip to Germany at the beginning of December. I created the November and December content for my art and German business so that my customers received my daily FB posts, blogs and newsletter without interruption. I also held my Open House already in early November.

For the first time, I created a calendar of my works to have beautiful gifts to take along for the trip. The 2020 Canadian Landscape calendar was also a big success with my clients.
Despite the extra workload, I still managed to volunteer at Baz’Art in the Shenkman Arts Centre. A group of us promoted Arteast with painting demonstrations. I also replaced one of my friends during her regular classes at the St. Laurent Complex. I am glad that my friend Josie and I work very well together and replace each other at work whenever it is necessary.

Even though I worked extremely hard, I still made time for my family to experience our usual Advent activities before I left. We went to see the Christmas play at the Ottawa Little Theatre, visited the Village of Light at the Cumberland Heritage Village Museum and the Orleans Santa Parade of Lights. I even decorated the house, prepared the Advent calendars as well as the Santa Claus treats. We even managed to cut a tree together.

Pink Poinsettia sketch, watercolour, 5" x 7", NFS
My stay in Germany was one big reunion with relatives and friends. I even squeezed in time to visit the van Gogh exhibition in Frankfurt and the Jawlensky and Werefkin one in Munich. However, not everything went according to plan. My mother got sick and was hospitalized. Luckily, she only had to stay in the hospital for two days, but she was too weak for the activities we had planned together. However, we managed to get our very first family pictures done. I am so glad we have those photos of my parents, my sister and me. Who could have known that it would be at least two years before the next reunion?

When I arrived back in Canada on December 23, I still needed to help finish decorating the tree and the house for the next day. Christine baked a small number of cookies. Instead of our usual gingerbread house, Dominic put together the tiny chocolate house with our favourite sweets. While our Christmas was a little improvised, we celebrated in gratitude that we were together with Alex. Our almost fifteen-year-old dog was more excited than any one of us to open his present.

Three days later, we went to the cottage to end the year surrounded by the peacefulness of the snow-covered landscape. It was the perfect spot to re-energize and get ready for the new decade. Nobody had any idea how our lives would change in a couple of months.


No comments:

Post a Comment