Dog

Dog

Friday 10 September 2021

Make Time to Play

Blog 29



This morning, I went through ideas for my new blog and decided to write about the need to play and explore your creativity.


During the last 18 months, I have contemplated my priorities and what I want to invite into my life. I have decided what I am no longer tolerating. While I still have worked a lot, I picked what I wanted to do and what was not worth my time anymore. The older I get, the more I realize who precious time is.


This morning, when I picked the next meditation session on my playlist, it aligned perfectly with my idea for my blog. Isn’t it miraculous how these things work out? I listened to a meditation session by Deepak Chopra and Oprah Winfrey. The the centering thought was, “I play. I create. I succeed.”


Most of us have busy schedules with long to-do lists and commitments. We create our own share of busyness by filling every minute with things to do. I am guilty of this too, and always have to stop myself when I feel like in a hamster wheel.


Luckily, I have a strong urge to express myself through art. Whenever I get a chance, I pick up pencils or my felting materials. You are probably wondering why I don’t mention brushes and paints. Truthfully, I have not spent much time painting during the past 18 months, except for my online meeting with friends or clients. It has due partly because I could not meet my friends to go painting en plein air for a long time, but it also reflected my changes at home. First, our 15-year-old dog, Alex, was too attached to me, so that I did not want to be away from him. Then, a new puppy required a lot of our attention. It is easy to put down a pencil or my felting needle but not as convenient with brushes, especially with fast-drying acrylic paints.

unfinished

I am sure I will return to painting at some point. Nature is too fascinating not to capture. Last weekend, I spent three hours outside painting the only sunflower on our property. It felt fantastic to feel the sun and listen to the leaves rustle in the light wind.


At the end of the month, I will attempt something new. Since I gave a workshop to a group of rug hookers in June, I have been fascinated by the possibilities of combining rug hooking and needle felting. This fall, I will learn rug hooking. I still have tons of wool in my studio from my internship in the wool factory, Schachenmayr. I already knitted so many sweaters that I ran out of closet space. Now, I hope that I can use some of the wool for rug hooking projects. I am excited to learn something new and to extend my skills.


Now back to Deepak Chopra’s thought, “I play. I create. I succeed.” Unfortunately, many people think about picking up a creative hobby but don’t make it a priority. I often hear that they want to start when they retire.


In a world that is very competitive, we often forget to play for pure enjoyment. We get obsessed with the final perfect outcome and miss out on enjoying the process of creating. However, if you start exploring, you will forget everything around you. Your creativity starts expanding, and you will get lots of ideas for all areas of your life. You will feel invigorated and relaxed at the same time.


I encourage you to pick up a new creative hobby this fall. Let me know what you will start. Pick up a pencil, a brush, or any other tool you need. Maybe, what you create will not meet your expectations. We are all unique, and you should consider your art as your unique creation. It does not matter if anyone else enjoys it as long as it brings you joy. In the beginning, you might feel discouraged because what you envisioned did not materialize. However, if you continue, you will succeed in finding a medium and technique that suits you. If you want some support, I invite you to check out my fall workshops. My four-week workshop Unleash Your Creativity starts on Sunday, September 12, 2021, and my felting workshop in November (on sale for $200 until October 1, 2021). For more information, please go to my website www.KerstinPeters.ca.


No comments:

Post a Comment