Dog

Dog

Friday 11 November 2022

Fall Painting Trip to the Whitewater Region

Lazy Afternoon at the Ottawa River, watercolour and watercolour pencil, 5.8" x 8.3"

Blog 18

Last week, we had another cottage week. Aside from my husband and our dog, two of my painting buddies, Janis and Bob, wanted to join us for the first painting trip in three years. We were excited because we wanted to go painting while Ingo went hiking. Two weeks before the trip, Janis got sick and decided to cancel. Then, on the day of our departure, Bob also felt unwell. We were all disappointed.

Since Ingo had already started packing, I took my painting equipment. I hoped to join at least my friends, Bill and Sharon, from Eganville for a day of painting.

Fall Bouquet, watercolour and watercolour pencil, 11.7" x 8.3"

The weather was glorious, with temperatures in the mid-teens. It was too beautiful to waste my time missing the company of my friends. Instead, I sat on the porch and painted the calm Ottawa River on Saturday. Ingo had invited a friend to go motorcycling for the weekend after the cancellations. To my delight, his friend brought a beautiful arrangement of flowers from his garden that I could not resist painting. I used watercolour paints and watercolour pencils for both artworks.


On Monday, the only day without company and sun, Ingo and I went to the Quebec side to escape the approaching rain system. Unfortunately, many of the trails that Ingo had found on Google maps were in the process of being transformed into new neighbourhoods with many warnings not to trespass. In the end, we walked part of the PPJ, the Pontiac Pacific Junction railroad tracks, starting at Fort Colougne.


I received the uplifting news that both my friends felt better. Both joined us on Tuesday for three days of painting and camaraderie.


Rolling Fields, watercolour,  8.3" x 11.7", unfinished


Tuesday afternoon, we went to the Westmeath Scenic Lookout. It offered painting opportunities in all directions. Full of enthusiasm, I decided to use my acrylic paints, only to discover that I had left them in a closet at the cottage. Luckily, I had also packed my watercolour equipment. In the warming sun, sheltered by the hill with the lookout gazebo, I painted the fields with the Ottawa River in the distance.

 

Mirror, Mirror, acrylic, 8" x 8", unfinished

 

On Wednesday, we met with our friends Bill and Sharon in Eganville at the Shaw Woods Outdoor Education Centre. We all started with a painting of the Shaws Pond, where a great blue heron was basking in the sun.



 Shaws Pond, acrylic, 8" x 10", unfinished

 

After a picnic lunch, I painted the farther side of the lake, where the wind created appealing shapes on the surface of the water.


We hadn’t seen our friends in years, and it felt good to catch up. Later, we saw some of their paintings at their house and reminisced about previous trips we had taken together.


During the trips with the Plein Air Ensemble and on our Kamouraska trips (without Bob), we have created great memories together, and our paintings tell a beautiful story of those times.


In the Spotlight, acrylic, 8" x 10", unfinished


Thursday was another great day. While it was cold in the morning, we found a sheltered spot where it was cozy in the sunshine. Unfortunately, the whole location was still in the shadows when we wanted to start. Looking for a better area, we explored the surroundings only to return to the first spot where the sun slowly lightened up the scene. We enjoyed a last relaxing lunch on the patio before my friends left, and we also started to get ready for our trip home.


We were so lucky with the weather! I am happy with my paintings. I finished the two watercolour paintings from the weekend and will decide on the changes I still have to make to the other artworks. Most of the time, I have to add some highlights. Plus, Janis and Bob paint much faster than I do. Therefore, it was great that we went to areas where they could create a couple of paintings. After years of plein air painting, we have realized that it makes more sense to stay at one location instead of driving around to find new spots. You lose too much time looking around that you could otherwise spend painting. Often you look for too grand a scene while little treasures are in plain sight.


The trip rekindled a fire in us, and we are eager to get back out and take advantage of the weather as long as possible. This week was exceptional, but we can still paint outside in winter on a milder sunny day.
We look forward to future painting adventures. I will keep you updated.


No comments:

Post a Comment