Dog

Dog

Friday 2 December 2022

Advent Calendar Day 1 and 2




Today, many children (and some adults) around the world start opening their Advent calendars to count the days of Advent in anticipation of Christmas. In the beginning, the Advent calendar doors hid images related to Christmas. Nowadays, you find them with chocolates or other sweets, little toys, and gifts from beauty products to jewellery.


My art Advent calendar will is a review of some of the art I created this year. Due to my accident in mid-December last year, you won't find many acrylic paintings in the Advent calendar. After being bound to a bed and wheelchair for the first six weeks after my accident, I only managed to walk the stairs to my studio shortly before my six-week visit to Germany.


Therefore, I concentrated on needle felting, watercolour painting and drawing. All artworks that show a price are for sale. Shipping costs vary by destination. Please email me to info@KerstinPeters.ca for further details or questions.


Enjoy the 2022 Art Advent Calendar!

 

Advent Calendar Day 1

The Purple Finch, wool and mixed fibres, 8.75” x 11.75”


After my accident last December, I had set up my workspace for many weeks in our living room because it was the most easily accessible with a wheelchair and walker. I had a fantastic view of the birds that visited our feeders. One of the visitors was a purple finch we had never seen before. Immediately, I thought of my parents, who love birds. I created this artwork as a gift for my dad on his 88th birthday. It was a special treat for me that I could give him his present in person. I saw his delight when he opened his gift. The needle-felted painting has found a prominent spot in their home and is a little piece of myself that I could leave behind. 

It took me a long time to create the image because the bird's feathers required a lot of detail, and the pastel background was more challenging to realize than I had expected. Here are some photos of the progression.

 

 

 Advent Calendar Day 2

 
Winter Bouquet, watercolour and watercolour pencil, 9” x 12”

After my fall, I spent my days in the spacious living room because I could get easily around. To distract myself, I started drawing the first day I was in my hospital room and continued during my rehabilitation at home. The Christmas bouquet from a dear friend brought a bit of nature into my world, and its beauty delighted and inspired me.



I invite you to check out my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/KerstinPetersPaintings if you don't want to wait until next week for Days 3 - 9. On my page, I will publish a daily Advent Calendar post.

No comments:

Post a Comment