Dog

Dog

Friday 24 July 2015

Petrie Island

Blog 29

Living in the east end of Ottawa has the advantage that I am very close to one of my favourite spots in the city: Petrie Island. The only issue that makes me a little upset it that dogs are not allowed on the island, so I can never share the joy of the trails with our dog Alex. I know it is for the safety of the ecosystem, but when I see all the garbage people leave behind, I wonder who the real threat is.

Nevertheless, Petrie Island's vegetation and animal world is beautiful. I love to experience the different seasons, and to watch and listen to the frogs, birds, and the turtles taking sun baths on logs.

I have painted on the island during every season, although our painting group usually avoids painting there in the summer because the island is attracting lots of people looking for a place to swim, to play, to relax in the sun, or for a nice picnic. There is nothing like a relaxed picnic in the evening while waiting for the sunset. I am lucky that I often pass Petrie Island on my way to work, and have seen some pretty spectacular sunsets.

Here are some of the paintings I created on location sorted by season:


Spring

Finally Spring, oil, 10" x 8"



Summer

"Late Summer Day at Petrie Island", oil, 8" x 10"



Fall

Golden Days of Fall, acrylic, 8" x 10"



Fall at Petrie Island, acrylics, 14" x 11"



Winter

Fishing Huts On The Ottawa River, Petrie Island, oil, 11" x 14"



Then there are the four sunset paintings I did in the studio. Even though my painting buddies and I have always talked about painting a sunset on location, so far we have not managed to go out at twilight. My sunset paintings were all done in the studio. I am just mesmerized by sunsets, therefore I am sure will paint other sunsets.

Sunset over Petrie Island, acrylic, 18" x 24"




Sunset Magic, acrylic, 24" x 30"



Peacefulness, acrylic, 16" x 20"


Have you ever been to Petrie Island? Do you go regularly? If so, what do you like to do there? Do you have a favourite spot on the island?

Next week is the last week of my little trip to some of my favourite destinations. Any guesses which spot I will pick? Where is your favourite retreat?

No comments:

Post a Comment