Dog

Dog

Friday 10 February 2017

Evening Glow

Evening Glow, acrylic, 18" x 24"

Blog 6


Now that January's Creativity Challenge has ended, for the rest of the year my blogs will have monthly themes that I already picked with regard to the season or certain activities. The February theme is winter paintings.

Today’s blog is about my painting “Evening Glow”. This 18” x 24” acrylic painting was created with painting knives. The site depicted in the painting is just up the hill from our house. I often enjoy the beautiful sunsets at this spot when I return from my walks with our dog.

You have probably also witnessed some of the amazing sunsets we get on especially cold evenings in winter when the sky is full of bright pinks and purples. For me, these sunsets create the urge to pick up a paintbrush and capture these shorts moments on a canvas. Not only is the sky full of bright colours, but also the snow is tinted in shades of purple and blue.

The painting was created in my studio with the help of a couple of reference photos. While it is still on my bucket list to paint a sunset on site, I do not intent to create a winter sunset en plein air.

When I started to go on painting trips in 2009, I attempted to paint outside at any temperature. Today, I am not very eager to step outside once the temperature drop below -10 degrees Celsius. In these frosty times, I prefer the warmth of my studio.

Here are some photos which show the stages of my painting until completion:







If you would like to have a look at the finished painting, you can see it right now at the St. Lawrence Complex, 525 Coté St, Ottawa, ON K1K 0Z8, where it is part of the Arteast exhibition “Winter Mix”. The exhibition runs until March 9, 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment