Dog

Dog

Friday 8 December 2017

Advent Calendar: Days 1 - 8

Blog 50

As I had already announced last week, the blogs of the weeks until Christmas will contain an advent calendar of some of my 2017 artworks.

This blog contains the images of the first eight days. If you do not wish to wait for the weekly count-down to Christmas, you can go to my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/KerstinPetersPaintings/, where a new image is revealed every morning at 7:30am.  As not everyone sees the images automatically on their timeline due to the Facebook algorithms, I decided to bundle them weekly in my blog.


Day 1:
This is a 9" x 6 1/2" felted version of my acrylic painting "Winter Glow". The original acrylic painting is 36" x 24". It was fun to create the dramatic winter landscape in a smaller scale in wool. It was not easy to create the soft transitions.










Day 2:
"I'm Watching You" is the first cat portrait I created this week. I started the 8" x 10" oil painted when my student wanted to paint a cat. She had picked a picture that I used as a reference to start my painting. Once I had the initial sketch on my canvas board, I changed the cats appearance to make it my own original work. Therefore, this cat painting is not a portrait of a specific cat.



Day 3:
The third artwork of this year's advent calendar is the 11” x 14” oil painting “At the Narrows Bridge”, which shows the view from the covered bridge over the Fitch Bay Narrows towards the hills. I painted it dressed in thick winter clothes, including battery heated socks, during the spring Plein Air Ensemble trip to Orford, Quebec.



Day 4:
The 20” x 10” acrylic painting “Pink Tulips” was started en plein air. I was disappointed that I did not manage to go to the Tulip Festival this year and decided to paint right in my own backyard.

Here is a link to a video of my painting experience: https://youtu.be/onu3BQl2p3M.










Day 5:
This felted artwork was done for the Navan Fine Art Exhibition & Sale shoe project. The 10” x 12“ piece was inspired by the boots that my daughter wore as a young child. I loved them so much I kept them for her.

I picked this artwork for December 5, as German kids will put their boots in front of the door at night, so that St. Nikolaus will bring them some goodies overnight.



Day 6:
The 10” x 8” acrylic painting “Miko Sitting in the Sunshine” is the second painting of our cat. I started it during our summer vacation when I had a lot of time to paint, because the weather was not really nice enough for being at the beach. This painting was for my daughter who always misses her lovely companion when we go away for a couple of days.

I thought it was finished, but when I actually saw Miko again after our vacation, I made some further adjustments. Later, I even took the painting out of its frame again, when the lines of his front leg bothered me.



Day 7:
This artwork is an oil painting created with water soluble oil paints. I have to admit that I really like to work with this type of oil paints. You get the advantage of the oil colours with the convenience of an easy clean up using water.

“Unspoiled” is a 9” x 12” painting inspired by a photo taken of a lake in the Kamouraska region. I started the painting as a demo piece for my student who wanted to paint a landscape with a water. She picked this image from a variety of photos I presented to her.



Day 8:
 " Hansi", is a felted squirrel that I created after the squirrel in my acrylic painting "The Cheeky Squirrel".

Since I was a young child I have loved watching squirrels. The German word is "Eichhörnchen", which was much too difficult to pronounce for a toddler. So I named them all "Hansi".
 

I hope you enjoyed this first part of my advent calendar and will return next week. If you enjoy my blog, please share it. Thank you for helping me to increase my audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment