Dog

Dog

Friday 11 October 2019

Plein Air Ensemble Fall Painting Trip 2019 - Part 1

Manning Road Marsh, Acrylic, 8" x 10"



Block 30

I am back from my plein air painting trip to Lake Clear in Eganville, where our group of painters - this time including a photographer - enjoyed four wonderful days capturing the beauty of the fall landscape. To learn more about it, please read the first part of my travelogue.

Friday, October 4, 2019

My last painting trip with the Plein Air Ensemble was already two and a half years ago. Therefore, I was excited when I was able to arrange my work schedule to meet the fellow artists in the beautiful Lake Clear area again.

Hélène, Janis and I enjoyed a very pleasant drive through the beautiful fall landscape. For lunch, we stopped at Sandy's Deli Diner, an old-fashioned family restaurant in Renfrew, that looked like it was a gas station at some point. Inside were lots of antique signs and toy cars, even an old gas pump. The restaurant was packed and the food quite good.

After unloading our car, we had to do some “redecorating” in the cottage. We have a two-bedroom cottage. Janis and I were supposed to share the room with the bunk bed. However, there was no way for either of us to climb up the small ladder and opening into the bed. We decided to switch rooms with Hélène who had the room with two single beds. Unfortunately, the second bed in the room did not have a mattress cover. Therefore, we decided to put the cover from the upper bunk bed on the single bed but were not able to remove it. Instead, we transported the whole mattress from the upper bunk bed onto one of the single beds. Janis slept sleep like a princess in her extra high bed during our trips. Next, we had to figure out whose bed sheets would fit the different beds. You can imagine that we laughed quite a lot during this endeavour. Finally finished, we had about an hour and a half of painting time before the Happy Hour.

We drove around for a while as it was pretty cold, cloudy and quite windy. The first stop was at a beach from which the view of Big Mountain was still impressive, but without sunshine, the shapes looked very flat. In the end, we set up at a marsh at Manning Road. It was so cold that I was dressed in a winter coat, hat and gloves. However, from time to time, when the sun came out, it got very warm. Hopefully, this is a good sign for tomorrow.

Around 4:30 pm, we went to Kathy Haycock’s studio for the Happy Hour. Kathy lives only minutes from the Opeongo Mountain Resort. Last weekend, she took part in the Madawaska Valley Studio Tour, and her studio was busy with people, both tour visitors as well as the other members of the Plein Air Ensemble. I am sure almost everyone was green with envy at the sight of Kathy’s studio. If you are ever in the Eganville area, visit her studio. It is the perfect place to display her beautiful landscape paintings. I felt reminded of the Group of Seven. Probably not by chance, as her father Maurice Haycock painted with A. Y. Jackson for many decades.

We had our dinner at “The Moose on the Beach”, the restaurant of the Opeongo Mountain Resort. After a delicious pumpkin soup with cheese curds, we enjoyed Ceasar chicken wraps and chocolate cake.

That evening, despite feeling tired, I finished my felted water lily scene and continued my felted apple blossom artwork. As I had just received a delivery of different hues of green wool, I was eager to see the image come together.

The next part of the travelogue will be published next Friday. Please share my blog with family and friends, who might be interested in my stories.






No comments:

Post a Comment