Dog

Dog

Friday 24 December 2021

Art Advent Calendar - Part IV

Despite my accident, I finished my Art Advent Calendar. Here is the last part of the review of my 2021 artworks. My art helped me through another challenging year. May creative projects enable you to express your joys and troubles.

 

Day 18 of the Advent Calendar:


Nature’s Mirror, wool, 11” x 8.5”

Nature’s Mirror, wool, 11” x 8.5”
 
As I continued to felt all the images of my 2020 landscape calendar, it was the turn of another fall image with tree reflections in a bay of the Ottawa River. Even though I love the warmth and long days of summer, I cannot get enough of the breathtaking fall colours.
 
 
 
Advent Calendar Day 19:
 

The Rock, acrylic, 8” x 10”, CAN $250

The Rock, acrylic, 8” x 10”, CAN $250
 
This painting is from the 2019 Plein Air Ensemble fall painting trip to Lake Clear in Eganville. On October 6, the forecast showed a high probability of rain. In the afternoon, the sky got very dark. We had our lunch break and waited for the rain, but it stayed dry. Finally, we headed out to a side road, where I set up in front of a big rock. We had assumed that it was a quiet road, but many cars, an ATV and even a group of hikers passed us. It was almost 4:30 pm when the rain finally started. At first, I did not even notice it because I was so immersed in my painting. However, it was clear that the rain system had reached us. We had to pack in our painting equipment.
 
This fall, I finally found my way back into the painting and finished it once I used painting knives to add some texture.



Advent Calendar Day 20:
 

Fall Splendor, wool and embroidery thread, 11.75” x 9”


Fall Splendor, wool and embroidery thread, 11.75” x 9”
 
I got stuck while working on this needle felted painting. After taking a break for a couple of months, I finally finished the challenging fall landscape with trees reflecting in a lake. To create a more interesting foreground, I added embroidery thread for the grasses in the foreground.
 
My goal for this year was to recreate all the images of my 2020 landscape calendar. I was very close to achieving this goal when my accident put me in the hospital.  
 
 
 
Advent Calendar Day 21:
 

Big Rock, Lake Clear, acrylic, 8” x 10”, $250

Big Rock, Lake Clear, acrylic, 8” x 10”, $250
 
This painting is also from the Plein Air Ensemble trip to Lake Clear in Eganville in October 2019. Many painters in the area have painted the rock that is truly impressive in its size. 
 
I was with my friends Hélène and Janis when I painted Big Rock. It was a very windy day, but in the sunshine, temperatures rose to 15 degrees. We had so much fun that we did not mind that we were late for Happy Hour that day.



Advent Calendar Day 22: 
 

Flaming Tree, acrylic on board, 11" x 14", CAN $375

Flaming Tree, acrylic on board, 11" x 14", CAN $375
 
I created this fall painting during a painting class with the participants of the group homes. I signed it afterwards, but somehow I was not satisfied with the outcome, especially with the sky. I found it too busy. A couple of months later, I picked the painting up again and made some changes, as you can see. I am happy with the result this time.
 
I post both images so that you can see the differences for yourself. The second one is the finished painting.
 
 
Flaming Tree, acrylic on board, 11" x 14", Stage 1

 
 
 
Advent Calendar Day 23:
 

Felting with Vegan Fibres
 
Felting with Vegan Fibres
 
I had hoped to present one more new felted painting, but I did not finish the last piece yesterday. I will show you my new felted artwork to you next week.
 
Instead, I want to emphasize that we have to keep exploring and learning new things to grow. This year, I learned a lot about vegan fibres. Even though I love needle felting with wool, this option is not suitable for everyone. Therefore, I experimented with a couple of vegan fibres. If you want to learn more about my experience, check out my November blogs.
 
 
 
Advent Calendar Day 24:
 

The Pink Rose, wool, 7.5" x 7", $380

The Pink Rose, wool, 7.5" x 7", $380
 
I felted a version of the rose that we also picked as one of the images for our Painting Buddies meetings. While the original pre-felted background cloth was only 6" x 6", I wanted to enlarge the artwork to give the rose more space. I achieved this by adding another piece of pre-felted material that I attached by densely covering the top with wool roving.
 
I picked the image today because it reminds me of the popular German Christmas song Es ist ein Ros entsprungen. The English version is called Lo, how a rose e'er blooming. There are two explanations for the symbolism of the rose. It is either a symbol for the Virgin Mary (catholic church) or Jesus (protestant church).
 

 

I am back home after my bad accident. I am still bedridden. I have to concentrate on my healing for the upcoming weeks. Therefore, I will postpone all further courses until I walk again, at least until February. I will also take a break from publishing my newsletter, blog, and regular posts on Facebook until the second week of January.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
 
Thank you for reading my blog. I hope my posts about art inspired you to express your creativity.
 
I wish you joyful holidays surrounded by loved ones. Enjoy the time together, celebrating the joys with gratitude.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment