Dog

Dog

Friday 21 April 2023

Give Your Creativity a Break

Chickadee, wool, 6" x 8"



Blog 17

 

A couple of weeks ago, I started to post Tuesday Creativity Tip posts on my Facebook page. This week, I wrote about taking a break from creativity. This advice might seem strange coming from someone whose life revolves around art.


Creativity in art refers to developing and expressing unique ideas, emotions, and perspectives in various art forms, such as painting, sculpture, music, literature, dance, theatre, and film. Creativity is essential to allow artists to express their individuality, connect with their audience, push boundaries and explore new possibilities, resulting in unique artworks that might evoke emotions, provoke thoughts, and inspire others.


However, rest and relaxation are crucial for nurturing your creativity. Allow yourself to take breaks and step away from your creative projects to give your mind a chance to relax and re-energize. Spend time observing the clouds or birds, enjoying a walk in nature, playing or doing anything else where your mind can wander. You will have increased creativity when you return to your project.


We all have times when we are more creative and inspired, so don't worry if your priorities change. For further reading, check out my blog, Are You Taking a Creative Break or a Break from Creativity? This advice is also something I have to heed when I do not draw or paint anything for a day. Some days are just like that, you get busy, or nothing works out and takes extra time. If art helps you reduce stress, that's great, but creating art because you feel you should do it might only increase your pressure.


There are very few days when I don't create art. Usually, I still pick up my felting projects to needle felt for half an hour. However, I am still creative behind the scenes of my business, creating new programmes and ideas for messaging and posts.


Talking about taking a break, I will be on vacation from April 25 and May 25 to spend time with family and friends, in nature and visiting attractions that will likely inspire lots of new projects.


Here is a look at my April projects in pencil, watercolour and wool. Sometimes, I have created a lot and other days, especially regarding my needle-felted paintings, it is hard to see any progression. Not all of the watercolour and felted paintings are finished. It is all about having fun on the journey. Don't compare yourself to someone else, but get inspired. Find the level of creativity and the mediums that suit you.



 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment