Dog

Dog

Friday 18 December 2020

Advent Calendar Day 9 - 16

Here is the second part of this year's Advent Calendar:

Day 9: A Trinity of Tulips
 
Trinity of Tulips, acrylic, 8″ x 8″

For "A Trinity of Tulips", I had to improvise. When I was ready to paint, I could not find another 6" x 6" canvas in my basement, so I took an 8" x 8" canvas and realized immediately that the format would not work for a single flower.
 
Therefore, I concentrated on the tulip that I could see and put two additional tulips into the painting that I painted later from reference photos.
 
A Trinity of Tulips, acrylic, 8″ x 8″, canvas, CAN $230 + shipping
 
 

Day 10: By The River
 
By The River, acrylic on birch board, 14" x 11"


On August 13, I finally went for a physically distanced painting outing again with some of my friends at Parc du Moulin in Rockland. I had a wonderful time painting at the edge of the Ottawa River.

When I look at the painting, I can still visualize the soft waves and the calming sound of the water.
By The River, acrylic on birch board, 14" x 11", unframed, CAN $375 + shipping

 
Day 11: The Turtle Pond
 
The Turtle Pond, watercolour on paper, 9” x 12”
 



On November 20, a group of us finally painted at Petrie Island, the first time since last winter. It was a mild day for the second half of November. There were so many people fishing and walking on the island that I was glad that we found a secluded spot to paint.

I had purchased a small watercolour travel set that I used for the first time. I was looking for ways to reduce my equipment so that I can also paint from the car in the colder season and go to locations that are not as easily accessible. I am still experimenting with the watercolours outside, but I am happy with the scene of the turtle pond covered with a thin layer of ice at some areas.
 
In the photo collage, you can see how the change of the sky influences the view. As the scene changes all the time, when you are painting, you have to stick with one image in your head. Otherwise, you would continuously try to change the colours on your canvas.
 
The Turtle Pond, watercolour on paper, 9” x 12”, framed, CAN $185 + shipping
 
 
Day 12: Escape to the Country 

 
                 Escape to the Country, acrylic, 9” x 12”



On November 10, my friends Janis, Bob and I met on the quiet Sarsfield Road in Cumberland to paint the fields in beautiful sunshine. The temperatures went up to 24 degrees. It was hard to believe that it was November.

I was not happy with the foreground when we left our painting spot. In the studio, I used painting knives to make the fields more interesting.

Escape to the Country, acrylic on board, 9” x 12”, $300 + shipping
 
 
 Day 13: Alex

Alex, wool, 12" x 10", not for sale


This year I dedicated to my beloved Alex. He had collapsed at the side of the road in October 2019 on one of the few weekday walks when my husband was able to join us during his lunch break.

At first, he did not move. When my husband lifted him out of the ditch he behaved as if nothing had happened. The vet checked him out and let us know that his heart was still strong, but his arthritis was causing him problems. I was relieved and scared at the same time as Alex was 14.5 years at the time.

Nevertheless, I felt that our time was running out and started the felted painting of my handsome companion, which I finished early in January.

In the end, we were granted another eleven months. Alex got weaker and weaker at the end but we had another wonderful summer together, including a trip to the cottage.

Being able to care for him was a great gift. As he slowed down, I had to follow his lead. I was able to study the world around us like never before as we spent a lot of time outside walking at a very slow pace. I admired the leaves and petals of plants and beautiful starry nights. When Alex died on September 21, 2020, I was very sad but also at peace because we had spent as much time as possible together. 

 Alex, wool, 12" x 10", not for sale

 

Day 14: Snow Peas

Sweet Peas, acrylic on cradled wood panel, 5" x 7"

 
During our painting trip to Kamouraska in September 2019, Hélène, Janis and I decided to stay in town to paint the stunning flowers of a private garden on Avenue Chassé. We had painted at that spot already the year before. This time, the delicate pink snow peas caught my special attention.

When the others were ready to continue, I had painted the basic image but was not happy with the contrast. The painting looked very flat. A couple of weeks ago, I finally finished the painting of the delicate snow peas.

Sweet Peas, acrylic on cradled wood panel, 5" x 7", CAN $90 + shipping
 
 
Day 15: Wearing the Mask in Style 


Wearing the Mask in Style, pencil on paper, 12" x 9"


This sketch is another one from my activities with the New York Urban Sketchers. For this task, we combined two photos from New York City in the 1920s and linked them to our current situation.

I had a lot of fun with these exercises. I will probably join in their fun again now it gets harder to spend time outside painting en plein air.

Wearing the Mask in Style, pencil on paper, 12" x 9", not for sale
 
 

Day 16: Sunflowers

Sunflowers, watercolour on paper, 12" x 9"

 

On August 6, my friend Janis and I went to a beautiful sunflower field on Dunning Road in Cumberland. We had to climb over a ditch to reach the field. Painting was a challenge because the space in front of the flowers was tight, and many visitors admired the sunflowers and took photos.

Janis and I both created watercolour paintings. Watercolours are lighter to carry. Plus, the artwork dries quickly, which makes the transport easy.

Sunflowers, watercolour on paper,
12" x 9", unframed, CAN $ 250 + shipping

To purchase any of the artworks for sale, please go to https://www.kerstinpeters.ca/make-a-payment/.


No comments:

Post a Comment