Dog

Dog

Friday 21 January 2022

In the Blink of an Eye




Blog 1

Last year, I was uncertain if I wanted to continue with my blogs. I shifted my focus, and I am now concentrating on needle felting and my Learn German Through Art programme. However, after I came home from the hospital, I realized how many people are in pain – physically and mentally. While my blog is not directly related to my day-to-day business, I hope it will inspire you to express yourself through art to find joy, hope and strength.


On December 14, 2021, my world changed in seconds when our dog, Shadow, pulled me down the stairs chasing after a squirrel. We both saw the squirrel, but I relaxed when he sat down. This moment of perceived safety was my downfall in the true sense of the word. All of a sudden, Shadow pulled to chase after the squirrel. I flew down about six stairs and over the walkway without hitting the ground again. I finally landed in the flower bed across from our house. It was a miracle that I did not hit my head on one of the many mature trees. I was also lucky that it was a sunny day, and a couple on a walk reacted to my cries for help. My husband was at home but on the other side of the house where he could not hear me. Shadow, true to his name, watched over me instead of leaving my side to fetch my husband.


I was in so much pain that I never consciously looked at the friendly couple. I never registered their faces. I only remember the pain and pressure when the gentleman and my husband carried me up the stairs into the house.


It did not take long until two ambulance crews arrived. They gave me morphine to put me on a stretcher and into the ambulance. I was so scared because I felt something was very wrong.


At the hospital, the ambulance team brought me to a big room. The space looked like a garage split up by dividers. I don’t know how much time passed until they rolled me into a section in the emergency department. I was so relieved when my husband finally came, a familiar face next to me in my helpless state. I felt panic in the unfamiliar and noisy surroundings. Through the gap between the curtains, I could see lots of security staff and police. People were coughing, moaning in pain and complaining loudly.


When I was finally moved to a ward a day later, I was happy to end up next to the window in a semi-private room. The view was not great, but at least I saw the sky. I was eagerly waiting for my husband when my nurse told me that I was in isolation for the day. At least, my husband was allowed to leave some personal effects. As soon as I received my art supplies, I started drawing. It was comforting to have something familiar I could control. Concentrating on capturing the image in front of me also helped to distract me from the pain. While I was in the hospital, I drew something every day. Looking at my images, I realized that even though I had a difficult road ahead of me, I still could enjoy and control some areas of my life.

 

Are you going through a difficult time right now? What helps you to get motivated to get through the day? You can leave a comment or contact me at info@KerstinPeters.ca.













No comments:

Post a Comment