Dog

Dog

Friday 31 March 2023

Sketching People

 


Blog 14



This past month, I created a lot of sketches of people. Our theatre season began again. We sit in the first row and usually have enough light to draw. Sometimes, I only have time for a quick outline because some actors move a lot. Usually, when I draw sketches with more detail, I don’t create them in one go. Instead, I go back and forth between different characters. I continue with each when they are in the same spot as when I started sketching them. For the production of Sense and Sensibility, sketching was more demanding because of the large number of characters on stage. I love drawing at the theatre because it helps me remember the plays better.


I also draw often during Zoom calls when I know a speaker is featured. I attempt to get a likeness which is challenging because the facial expressions change with every movement. I prefer to catch them with a closed mouth because drawing teeth is even more demanding. Sometimes when I get too frustrated, I take a screenshot and rework the drawing later with the photo.


When I tried to draw the actors of the German movie Die Dienstagsfrauen, I also started sketching the actresses simultaneously, then went back and forth whenever they were in a similar position on the screen. I am happy with two sketches, while the other two renditions show hardly any likeness. Nevertheless, I captured enough information to remember the four very different and distinct personalities the actresses played.

 



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 It was a fun exercise I might repeat in the future to practice. I still want to work on more abstract renditions to concentrate less on the actual appearance and more on the actions of the characters to make my sketches more dynamic. This way, I might sketch a variety of people quickly in public. I am still too concerned about achieving the likeness instead of capturing the mood and movement. However, I enjoy the challenge of simplifying, which feels uncomfortable.

Is there anything you want to learn that feels out of your comfort zone?

No comments:

Post a Comment