Friday, 25 September 2020

My Immigration Journey - Part 12


Jessie Swimming, acrylic, 24" x 30"

Blog 21

At the turn of the century, many people feared that the so-called Millennium bug could create dangerous interruptions of computer-controlled utility systems, public transportation and financial transactions. Luckily, experts recognized the problem early and were able to fix most issues.

I started the new century with my son, surrounded by my family in Germany. When I returned to Canada in early January, it was freezing, and not only compared to the mild weather in Germany.

As I still lived alone with my two-year-old son and dog, I was happy when I saw the brochure for preschool classes for children over 2.5 years at the local YMCA. I registered my son right away for two mornings a week. He also went to a daycare provider one afternoon a week. These were my much needed moments of alone time.

I had developed a well-established daily routine with Dominic and Jessie. There were times like during Dominic's flu when life as a single mom was very challenging, but most of the time, I felt in control. When the time of Ingo‘s return approached, I was excited but also scared that this would interfere with our carefully established routine.

At the same time, I had a hard time to accept the second wave of pregnancies in my circle of friends. While the first ones were about to deliver a second time, the second group was getting pregnant. Having only one child had its advantages. I still had time to satisfy my thirst for culture. Once a month, I went to a small local theatre with a friend.

I also felt lucky to live close to the National Gallery with a fantastic art collection. I exposed my son to art from an early age. At the age of four, he created innovative structures from our recycled garbage. We had to destroy these large objects when we planned to sell our house a couple of years later. I deeply regret that we did not take any pictures of his artworks. Even though his love for art has not lasted, he still possesses a lot of imagination to develop mechanical innovations. He built a hovercraft out of grocery bags and designed and build his own remote control race car, to name only some of his later projects.

With my husband’s return in the spring and Dominic at preschool twice a week, I managed to have more creative time. I increased the production of new bears and bear-related projects to be ready in time for the Gloucester Craftsmen's Guild Spring Market.

I was encouraged by my husband’s praise of my art to paint more. Jessie Swimming (above) was my largest painting for many years.

Then suddenly, my whole life changed again when we found out in early July, that I was pregnant. However, this pregnancy was even worse than the last one. I was so nauseous that the that I had to take medication for the whole duration of the pregnancy.

Ottawa Sunset, acrylic, 16" x 20"

I was so tired that I spent a lot of time lying down reading to Dominic. Despite the morning sickness, I continued to paint one more painting that was part of the Arteast exhibition called Sky. I needed the rest of my energy to make bears and bear-related products. In November, I participated in the Christmas markets of the Cumberland Arts and Crafts Guild as well as the Gloucester Craftsmen's Guild before life led to my next creative break.

If you would like to find out how I managed to create art again after the birth of our second child, I invite you to return for the next chapter in my immigration journey.

No comments:

Post a comment